Do you ever have a moment when you’re thinking about a certain food or meal and it invokes nostalgia to the point where you can almost taste the dish?
That’s me with Chicken Tortilla Soup.
Just thinking about it transports me to a tucked away booth in a bustling restaurant, enjoying a hot bowl of perfectly spiced tomato broth loaded with shredded chicken and beans, topped with melty cheese, crispy tortilla strips, fragrant cilantro, and creamy avocado. A few plant-based swaps of chicken-style vegetable broth, fiber rich chickpeas, and dairy-free cheese later and you can enjoy that same soul-warming sensation without the saturated fat and cholesterol!
Consuming a large amount of vegetables at once doesn’t mean you’re committing to a life of green salads. When it comes down to the basics, every great meal consists of the perfect balance of flavor and texture.
This recipe is an example of how just 3 ingredient substitutions that mirror the flavors and textures of traditional Chicken Tortilla Soup can have you enjoying ALL of your favorite meals. Best part is you can enjoy these types of meals more frequently and in larger quantities because they are so often really great for your health!
Besides creating highly nutritious meals that serve to build a disease free body, my major inspiration for developing plant-based recipes is to prove to doubters that you can enjoy incredibly delicious and savory meals when you cut out animal products.
Just one serving (about 2 cups) of Chickpea Tortilla Soup provides you with a significant portion of Recommended Daily Intake for the following essential vitamins:
13% Vitamin B1, 11% Vitamin B6, 38% Folate, 11% Vitamin A, 19% Vitamin C.
and the following essential minerals:
7% Calcium, 14% Copper, 14% Iron, 16% Magnesium, 37% Manganese, 16% Phosphorus, 14% Potassium, and 9% Zinc.
Create this yummy plant-based recipe and tag me in your photos on social!
Chickpea Tortilla Soup
- 8 Cups Chicken-Free Vegetarian Broth
- 1 Cup Diced Tomatoes
- 2 Whole Zucchini Chopped into quarter pieces
- 2 Cups Garbanzo Beans Pre-cooked
- 2 Cup Black Beans Pre-cooked
- 1 Cup Yellow Onion Diced
- 1/2 Lime
- 1 Bunch Cilantro
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Paprika or Chili Powder
- 1 tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Chopped Jalapeno OR Dried Chili Flakes
- Raw Onion
- Vegan Shredded Mexican Cheese
- Tortilla Strips
- Heat vegetable broth in a large pot. Add in beans, onions, zucchini, and spices. Cover with a lid and let simmer for 10 min. Add the entire bunch of cilantro (keep whole), lime juice, and canned tomatoes. Continue to simmer for another 10 min.
- Turn off the heat and remove the cilantro from the soup.
- Stir and serve hot, sprinkled with optional toppings. Try a sprinkle each of chopped cilantro, raw onions, jalapeno, vegan shredded cheese, crispy tortilla strips, and fresh avocado chunks.