Do you ever find yourself wondering what you can have for a healthy, high protein lunch that is satisfying and filling? If so, you’ve got to gather the ingredients for this plant based twist on Asian Lettuce Cups, featuring tempeh as a nutrition packed protein source!
What is tempeh?
Tempeh is made from fermented soybeans and offers a high amount of plant protein in addition to the essential nutrients Manganese, Phosphorus, Iron, Calcium, Riboflavin, Niacin, and Magnesium.
I’m happy to that share this version of Asian Lettuce Cups is flexible for so many styles of eating including:
- gluten free
Create this yummy plant-based recipe and tag me in your photos on social!
Tempeh Lettuce Cups
- 1 Cup Tempeh (About ½ a package, crumbled)
- 1 Cup *Raw Rainbow Slaw Mix
- 3 Large Butter Lettuce Leaves
- Organic Tamari or Coconut Amino Acids
- 1 tsp Ginger Minced or shredded
- Sesame Oil
- 1 tsp Honey
- ½ Lime
- 1 Stalk Scallions (Green Onions)
- 1 tsp Sesame Seeds
- Mix the raw rainbow slaw with the juice of ½ lime, 1 tsp sesame oil, 1 tsp soy sauce (tamari or coconut aminos), and chopped cilantro leaves. Let marinate in the fridge while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Add tempeh into a hot, lightly oiled non-stick skillet. Sprinkle in a dash of turmeric, garlic powder, cumin and 2 light dashes of soy sauce. Sautee for about 5 minutes just until tempeh begins to crisp. Remove from heat.
- Prepare a soy-ginger sauce by combining 2 tsp of sesame oil, 1½ tsp soy sauce, a small squeeze of honey, and 1 tsp of ginger.
- Rinse and dry the lettuce leaves then distribute an even amount of tempeh in each one.
- Top each lettuce cup with rainbow slaw, scallions, a drizzle of the soy-ginger sauce, and a sprinkle of sesame seeds.