When that occasional craving for chocolate or sweets hits, it’s always helpful to have a healthy recipe in your back pocket to turn to.
Let this be it.
Is this recipe healthy? Compared to a piece of fruit, no.
Compared to a traditional brownie recipe made with white flour, white sugar, eggs, and milk…yes!
Spelt flour is made from the highly alkaline spelt grain. Alkaline forming foods help maintain the neutral pH of the body and are pretty important to include in your diet.
I’d recommend all of the recipe ingredients listed below to be staples in a plant-based kitchen, as they all have pretty good health benefits and are good to have around for many recipes.
To make this recipe totally free of common allergens, sub the almond milk for another unsweetened, non-dairy milk.
I like to say that all of my recipes are easy, and nothing changes here.
I don’t consider myself a strong baker, so I love low-effort recipes like this.
Bake up a sweet batch and top with vegan vanilla ice cream, fresh berries, and maybe some of those extra chocolate chunks.
Try this yummy plant-based recipe and tag me in your photos on social!
Vegan and Gluten-Free Brownies
- ½ Cup Spelt Flour
- ¼ Tsp Baking Soda
- ¼ Tsp Sea Salt
- ½ Cup Chocolate Chunks Dairy free
- ⅓ Cup Coconut Oil
- ¼ Cup Vegan Butter
- ⅓ Cup Agave Syrup
- 1 Tbsp Cacao Powder
- ½ Cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Flax "Egg" 2 tbsp flaxseed + 6 tbsp water, rest 10 min
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small saucepan melt together coconut oil, vegan butter, and agave syrup on very low heat. Slowly add in chocolate chunks a bit at a time, whisk, and allow them to melt and mix evenly. Add cacao powder and whisk until you have a creamy chocolate sauce.
- Pour the chocolate sauce into a cup or bowl and allow to cool while you prep other ingredients.
- Combine the flour (sifted), baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the remaining wet ingredients with the melted chocolate sauce.
- Whisk the wet and dry ingredients together then let the batter rest for 5 min.
- Coat an 8x8 baking dish with a small amount of coconut oil, then pour in batter. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10-15 minutes.