Sometimes I feel really bad for salads. They get such a bad reputation as a boring side dish that takes too much effort to eat. Well this recipe is here to break the stigma and celebrate the hero that a salad becomes when humble vegetables are prepared two different ways then brought to life by a tangy apple cider vinegar based dressing.
In this recipe, we take the traditionally toasted pita bread filled with delicious veggies and flip it inside out. Instead of being limited to what can be stuffed inside a small pocket of bread, we enjoy a rainbow of fresh produce in abundance while still getting that crispy grilled bread!
This Roasted Veggie & Chickpea Pita Salad makes the perfect plant-based main dish when accompanied by yummy sides like these Crispy Rosemary Potato Wedges. Give it a try for your next Meatless Monday or Middle Eastern-inspired dinner spread!
Tried this recipe? Post a photo and tag me on social!
Roasted Veggie & Chickpea Pita Salad
Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- ¼ Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- ½ Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Tsp Dijon Mustard
- 2 Tbsp Shallot Minced
- 1 Tbsp Garlic Minced
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Ginger Minced
- 1 Tsp Freshly Cracked Black Pepper
- 1 Head Organic Red Leaf Lettuce
- 1 Large Piece Pita Bread
- 1-2 Cups Cooked Chickpeas Use 2 cups for more plant protein!
- 1 Red Capsicum (Bell Pepper)
- 1 Zucchini
- 1 Cup Heirloom Cherry Tomatoes Halved
- ½ Cup Fresh Cilantro (Coriander) Leaves Chopped
- ¼ Cup Fresh Mint Leaves Chopped
- Cucumber Slices Peeled into thin ribbons
- Avocado Slices
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil For cooking
- Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
- Combine all the ingredients for the salad dressing in a jar or bowl. Refrigerate the dressing while you prepare the other salad ingredients.
- Slice red capsicum (pepper) and zucchini into strips or bite-sized chunks (your preference).
- Roast the vegetables with olive oil and salt in one of three ways: in the oven on high heat, stovetop in a skillet, or on the grill. Cook until they are softened and slightly charred on the outside, but still soft to the bite. Grill the pita bread with the same method then tear it into bite-sized pieces.
- Add the roasted vegetables, chickpeas, tomatoes, and pita bread into a large bowl. Shake or stir the vinaigrette and spoon a generous amount of dressing to the mix and toss to coat.
- Rinse and dry lettuce leaves, then tear them into slightly smaller bits and add to a large bowl with the chopped cilantro and mint. Add about 3-4 tbsp of vinaigrette and toss greens to coat evenly.
- Spread lettuce onto a serving platter and top with the veggie & chickpea mix, cucumber, avocado, and extra dressing as needed. Top with freshly cracked black pepper.